Thursday, October 19, 2006

And the winner, by a neck, is...

So the very unpleasant Jeffrey won Project Runway. I did like his collection the best (the artist can make beautiful things even if the artist is not a beautiful person) but do I want to have to see him on future shows making little guest appearances with his ugly neck tatoo? And can someone please explain to me how finding a receipt can determine whether he had other people help him sew his collection? Whatever. Moving on...

The GCC has been a bit quiet this Fall, but we have a return visit this week from E. Lockhart. Her young adult novel THE BOYFRIEND LIST is out in paperback. Even though E. answered all my questions last time around, but she has updated for us, and in any case we don't mind reruns, right?

Are you a TV watcher?

Usually, I say no. I am a book person. But I am obsessed with Entourage right now. It's all about the shifting power relationships in a small group of immature people -- which is what I write about, too!

And I don't mind that Adrian Grenier.

What's your favorite show ever?

I had a real love affair with Northern Exposure when it was first on. Before that, a love affair with Mork and Mindy. But the passion is gone. When I see these shows in reruns, it's not the same. They're like men I've broken up with. What was I thinking?

What TV character (past or present) do you identify with most?

Last time I visited your blog, I said Grover. From Sesame Street. Which is still true.

But I would be lying if I didn't also admit that I identify with the Edina on Absolutely Fabulous.

Maybe that is my favorite show, ever. I never get tired of it.

So I am like a mix of Edina and Grover.

Not a pretty picture, but there you have it.

Does your main character watch any TV in the novel?

In The Boy Book, Roo watches old Saturday Night Live episodes in reruns. She footnotes John Belushi for teenage readers who haven't heard of him, thus:

"John Belushi was a comedian who used to be on Saturday Night Live (Cheesebuguh! Cheesebuguh!) and starred in Animal House and The Blues Brothers. He killed himself by accident doing too many drugs when he was only thirty-three. Like Elvis, but even grosser and also naked."

Roo also has an encyclopedic memory for old movies (which she watches on TV), and the footnotes in The Boy Book (and The Boyfriend List) contain long lists of romantic movies classified by the myths the perpetuate about love.

For more on E. Lockhart visit her website and blog.




Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?