Monday, June 26, 2006

Kyra Davis has weakness for WKRP re-runs

Next up on the GCC is Kyra Davis, whose new chicklit mystery novel PASSION, BETRAYAL AND KILLER HIGHLIGHTS is out. This is a follow-up to SEX, MURDER AND A DOUBLE LATTE. Kyra has been compared to Stephanie Plum, and is known for her sharp and funny writing.

Kyra, who is half black and half Jewish, has had an interesting life. She was raised in my own hometown San Francisco, went to the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City (my adopted hometown) where she studied merchandise and marketing. She worked for awhile at Norstroms, and is now back in the Bay Area. A single mom now able to write full time, she homeschools her son and STILL has time to watch TV. I think someone should based a sitcom on her.

Are you a TV watcher?

I must admit that I am.

What's your favorite show ever?

I always have a new favorite-show-ever. During the later years of elementary it was old WKRP re-runs (come to think of it that WAS a really good show). Then it was Cheers. At some point in college I was into the X-Files and then it was Will & Grace and Frasier…currently it’s a toss up between The Daily Show and Grey’s Anatomy…but maybe if they were still playing WKRP re-runs I’d revert to my old ways.

What TV character (past or present) do you identify with most?

I’m going to go with Miranda from Sex and the City. She and I have a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses. On the strength side we’re both goal oriented and highly motivated. We’re both intelligent but not so caught up in our own intellectualism that we can’t occasionally let our hair down and have a good time. We’re realists and we both struggle to balance work, socializing and single parenting (okay, she ended up marrying her baby’s father while I divorced the father of mine but for a while we were in similar boats). On the down side we both have some trust issues when it comes to men (I’m working on that), we can both be a little too independent for our own good and we both have a hard time keeping quiet when we think our friends are about to make a mistake, even if what they really need is for us to be quietly supportive and nonjudgmental (working on that too). Miranda was also the only woman on that show who had a normal metabolism. Carrie would consume an entire bag of Oreos and remain a size two. Ticked me off every time.

Does your main character watch any TV in the novel?

Sophie watches the morning news shows when she gets up in time (which is rarely). She also watches Will & Grace and Friends reruns. Maybe I’ll upgrade her to Grey’s Anatomy in the next book or maybe Nick at Nite will start playing old episodes of WKRP…wow, maybe that WAS the best show ever!

Youc an learn more about Kyra at her website and blog!

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?