Sunday, May 07, 2006

Don't be a Supermom -- find time to watch SVU

Alana Morales wrote a non-fiction book called Domestically Challenged. It's for Stay at Home Moms who want to get over the myth of needing to be the Super Mom. Considering my daughter is now telling me that when she has kids she's going to discipline them much more than I did (can you believe it?), I'm all for saying "no" to the Super Mom thing. Especially when it comes time to insist that I get dibs on the TV.

Alana writes on how to deal with the emotional aspects of being a mom, including boredom (watch TV while relating to child -- that's my advice, not hers) and every mom's favorite - guilt. (Should I be more strict? Maybe I should tell them they can't watch TV until homework is done. That will I can watch what I want... I mean, that means they will have a more meaningful educational experience.)

She also encourages moms to find time for themselves. I can honestly say that this is one aspect of mothering at which I have succeeded.

I asked Alana about her television viewing habits.

Are you a TV watcher?

Not very much, I don't have a lot of time to watch.

What's your favorite show ever?

This is a tough one. I would have to say LOST. There are a lot of shows I loved to watch that are older (Mad About You, Sex and the City) but when they added a kid to the show, it went downhill. I also love SVU - this is the other show I make time for.

When I was younger I loved the A Team, Knight Rider and Dukes of Hazzard.

What TV character (past or present) do you identify with most?

Bonnie from Life with Bonnie. I don't think the show was on long, and I didn't watch it often, but I remember thinking - Oh, that's what I would say/do.

Does your main character watch any TV in the novel?

N/A - though many SAHM's watch a lot of cartoons, many of which would be considered a form of torture in the right situation. :)

Alana, I might add, is a co-host on Mom Writer's Talk Radio. Very cool! We might even excuse her for "not having time for TV."




Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?