Tuesday, May 09, 2006

David Blaine's Real Triumph

Because he was just a couple blocks from where I live and work, I went to check on David Blaine a few times last week. I saw him sleeping at the bottom of his bubble. Talking through the glass to fans who lined up to have their pictures taken with him. Handing his bag of pee to one of his helpers. I appreciated his suffering -- both for the entertainment value of seeing if he would die while on display, and also because he made me feel happy everytime I could dwell on the fact that I was not in a bubble of water. Though did anyone actually check to see if he was in there from 3:00 AM to 6:00 AM when the rest of us were sleeping? Okay, I know, I know, he had people there, medical supervision etc...

So I saw him on TV, tolerating endless commercial breaks and annoying magic tricks (can I see a rerun of him taking the teeth out of that girl's mouth?)so I could see him holding his breath at the end -- on the edge of my seat to see if disaster would happen. The final stunt was disappointing, yes. He did not break the record, and he didn't even die a shocking death. But let me just say he did not fail. Because he succeeded in doing something that no one has even acknowledged. David Blaine went all week without watching TV. Well done, David.


Comments:
Hey, I have to say that your article about David Blaine is sick(cool)
I think it's ice, are you reall an author??????? My whole class know's I wanna be an author when I grow up, anyway, check out my blog!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?