Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Melissa Senate's new novel THE BREAKUP CLUB just came out

Next up on the Girlfriend's Cyber Circuit is Melissa Senate. I got to meet Melissa when she threw a party for a bunch of chicklitters a few years ago in her highrise apartment on the Upper East Side. Now she lives in Maine! I just checked out her blog, where she says she loves living up there. (Don't tell my husband, who would love to abduct me to some place with nature and trees.) But... most shocking... she used to smoke two packs of cigarettes a day! I'm so disallusioned :)

Melissa's debut novel See Jane Date launched the Red Dress Ink imprint in 2001, has been translated into over ten languages, is an answer to a question in the 20th Anniversary Edition of Trivial Pursuit, and was made into a television movie for ABC Family. Her debut novel for teens Theodora Twist (such a cute name) will be published by Delacorte Press in May. And her fourth novel The Breakup Club about four singles in Manhattan, has just come out now.

But the real issue here is... does Melissa watch TV? The answer is yes! She might be walking in the woods up there in Maine or chopping wood or something... or she might be watching "The 200 Pound Tumor" on Discovery...

Are you a TV watcher?

I am such a TV watcher that I even watch shows like: "I Am My Own Twin" and "The 200 Pound Tumor" on Discovery Health. From "House, MD," currently my favorite show, to too many "Law & Order" reruns (love SVU too) to "Super Nanny" to every award show, to Noggin, which I put on every morning from 6-7 am for my three-year-old, TV can be a great souce of info and entertainment and it lets you unwind while eating popcorn. I'm especially grateful for the Noggin channel because it's educational, fun TV for preschoolers and there are no commercials.

What's your favorite TV show ever?

There aren't even reruns anymore, except sometimes on Nick at Nite, but: "Rhoda," which starred Valerie Harper. (One of my total favorites.) It was a spin-off show (for all you youngins) of the Mary Tyler Moore show. I loved Rhoda, her family, her job as a window designer, the issues of class, that New York accent, her "role" as the "perfect" Mary Richards' best friend, the great Julie Kavner (voice of Marge Simpson!) for a sister and the hilarious Cloris Leachman for a nemesis.

What TV character (past or present) do you identify with most?

For a long time I identified with Ally McBeal (in those first few amazing seasons, before the show went nuts). But now that I'm married and have a young kid, I tend to identify with any family show that nails family relations.

Does your main character watch any TV in the novel?

Hmmm. The Breakup Club has four main characters, and now that I think about it, NONE of them watches television in the book. The only one who does is Lucy's jerk of a husband, who's more interested in watching a segment of "Stupid Pet Tricks" on The Late Show with David Letterman than in the seduction she's trying to pull off. "Stupid Pet Tricks" wins, unfortunately. Or fortunately, since Lucy finally accepts that her marriage is ovah!

Check out Melissa's website for more info.


Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?