Sunday, January 15, 2006

And My Next Guest Is...

Next writer up on the Girlfriend's Cyber Circuit is Sheila Curran author of Diana Lively is Falling Down. As Sheila says:

Diana Lively is Falling Down WILL DELIGHT MOTHERS WHO THINK,
AND THOSE WHO VOW TO THINK, IF THEY COULD ONLY FIND THE TIME

But does she have time to watch TV? The happy answer is yes! Sort of...

Are you a TV watcher?

I am a completely neurotic TV watcher. If I love a show, and I love plenty of them, then I can’t stand to miss one. Therefore, despite the fact that I love so many HBO series AND that I pay the $20 a month for it, I won’t watch anything, having missed at least one. Instead, I rent the series from the movie store. And when I do watch TV I mostly watch the Home and Garden channel or the Food channel, or sometimes, if there’s politics erupting, I watch CSPAN. From neurotic to policy wonk to decorator geek and back again.

What's your favorite show ever?

The show I remember waiting for and enjoying most was a soap opera I watched in my twenties, called Knott’s Landing. In fact, I think Valeen, a minor character in my book, sprang to mind looking a bit like the one on Knott’s Landing. I now love Entourage (but cannot watch it) 24, The OC and many other shows that I love too much to watch until I can watch every little bit.

What TV character (past or present) do you identify with most?

What comes to mind is one of the women on Desperate Housewives who has really active sons and can’t get the school costumes done and ends up stealing one of the kids’ Adderal just so she can see how it feels to have a perfectly clean house and be all caught up.

I spent so much of my time when my kids were littler wondering how the other moms managed to show up at school with their hair blown dry, their shorts ironed and make-up perfect. One day, one of them confessed to me that she was losing it and had gone a little nuts. “I’m making my boys dust their own rooms,” she confided. I remember thinking, “Man, are you supposed to dust in bedrooms?” It never even occurred to me.

(note from Stephanie: me neither!)

Does your main character watch any TV in the novel?

When Diana is going through a bad spell, she watches lots of shows about fatal accidents, killer bees and true-life scare fests. And Wally has a very important cosmic slump after watching two preying mantises interact on a Discovery Channel show.

To find out more about Sheila and her novel Diana Lively is Falling Down, visit her website at www.sheilacurran.com.



Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?