Friday, December 09, 2005

I am now a member of The Girlfriend's Cyber Circui...

I am now a member of The Girlfriend's Cyber Circuit!!!

This is a group of writers who host each other occasionnally, like when something exciting is happening in our careers. My first guest from the circuit is Tamara Siler Jones. She lives in Iowa with her family, and her second Dubric Byerly Mystery is out. It's about a vicious killer who stalks the quiet towns of the northern reach, kidnapping and murdering boys. With a score dead and two more missing, can Dubric and his team find the killer before he strikes again? A twisted murderer may not be all Dubric is looking for...or the only evil that he will find.

A blend of historical mystery and paranormal fantasy, Tamara Siler Jones delivers a fast-paced, chilling story with THREADS OF MALICE.

I asked Tamara a few questions about her TV watching habits. Considering what she writes, I wasn't surprised to find out what her favorite TV show of all time is...

Are you a TV watcher?

Not generally, no. Every once in a while I'll catch Whose Line is it Anyway? and the hubby and I sometimes watch South Park. That's about it. I have no idea why housewives are desperate, who's lost, or what OC stands for. I'm utterly oblivious. I used to watch quite a bit, but time seemed to disappear with nothing to show for it. Since I've been writing full time, I'm rarely in front of the TV at all, unless it's to watch a DVD movie or something specific with the family.

What's your favorite show ever?

Twin Peaks. I have every episode on tape. I was a Who Killed Laura Palmer fanatic! I made cross referenced charts of the characters with who knew who, and their relationship, and what they knew about Laura and all the little oddities. Wow! From Special Agent Cooper to BOB to the backwards talking midget, every moment, every character meant something. It's just an awesome show! I like intricate quirky shows that make you think - I used to watch the X-Files before David Duchovny left, for example, and I really loved the conspiracy related ones, not the creature-of-the-week episodes so much. I love to find subtle connections and figure things out, so shows like that make the time spent watching TV worthwhile.

What TV character (past or present) do you identify with most?

Heh. Some days it's Aunt Bea from The Andy Griffith Show. She's always taking care of things for Andy and Opie (and butting in when maybe she shouldn't, cooking, fussing, not quite fitting in with the garden club ladies...) other days Mindy from Mork and Mindy, trying to stay sane when nothing around is even close to normal and life just throws one crazy impossibility after another. Mostly I just struggle to stay on top of things and both of those characters do, too.

Does your main character watch any TV in the novel?

Nope, it takes place before electricity's common. There are no TV's to watch. If there were modern televisions, Dubric would probably be a news junkie, always clicking back and forth between CNN, C-Span and MSNBC, or watching old reruns from the 60's and 70's. His squire, Dien, would mostly watch contact sports on ESPN and all the alternates along with Monday Night Football. Lars would likely watch a lot of Comedy Central and TLC, Otlee would be glued to the Discovery Channel and medical type shows. As for the gals, Maeve would like HGTV and Lifetime, Jess would watch network comedies and some established dramas like Law and Order and ER along with an occasional TV movie, and Sarea would watch the Food Network and talk shows, probably staying up late for Letterman. But I'm just guessing.

Do you spend more time reading or watching TV?

Reading. Definitely. But I don't have much time for that anymore, either. What reading I do is mostly work related, researching some gruesome murder method or serial killer motivation.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?